If you are struggling with a compromised tooth that has been damaged by trauma or decay, a dental crown will restore full form and function to your smile. This restoration is custom-made to blend with your smile and is bonded to the visible portion of the tooth for added strength. At our Clinton, MS, practice, Dr. Ryan Tracy offers metal-free crowns for the most aesthetically-pleasing results. Our team is dedicated to providing personalized dental care and will work with you to design a treatment plan suited to your needs.
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a small cap designed to cover the entire visible portion of a tooth. A crown will be affixed to a natural tooth, or serve as a single tooth replacement when attached to a dental implant. At our practice, we provide patients with metal-free dental crowns for the safest and most aesthetically-pleasing results. Dental crowns crafted from high-quality materials like porcelain will be color-matched to blend seamlessly with adjacent teeth.
Do I Need a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are one of the most versatile treatments in dentistry, as they provide natural aesthetics and improved function. You may benefit from a dental crown if you have:
- Tooth Decay
- If you have a cavity that is too large to be repaired with a filling, we will place a dental crown to reinforce the natural tooth structure and prevent further damage.
- Fractured Tooth
- A dental crown will be used to protect or strengthen a cracked, broken, or severely compromised tooth.
- Cosmetic Enhancement
- Many patients select dental crowns to improve the aesthetics of their smile. This restoration will mask severe tooth discoloration that does not respond to professional teeth whitening, and it will improve the appearance of a tooth that is misshapen.
- Root Canal Treatment
- In most cases, we place a dental crown after root canal therapy to protect the tooth from further damage.
- Missing Teeth
- The best replacement for a single missing tooth is a dental implant. Once the implant is embedded in the jawbone and the healing phase is complete, we will attach a crown to the implant post. In combination with a dental implant, a crown looks and functions like a natural tooth.
During your consultation, we will perform a thorough evaluation and determine whether this treatment is right for you. Using the latest diagnostic imaging, Dr. Tracy will plan the best treatment for your dental needs and aesthetic goals.
The Treatment Process
The entire treatment typically takes two office visits. At your first appointment, Dr. Tracy will prepare your tooth and take impressions, which he will send to a local laboratory to fabricate your crown. During your second visit, he will place your permanent crown and reveal your newly enhanced smile. The treatment process entails:
- Tooth Preparation
- We will administer a local anesthetic to ensure your comfort during the procedure. Dr. Tracy will then reshape and smooth the tooth surface and remove any areas of decay.
- We will take a mold of your tooth, which we will send to a trusted dental laboratory for fabrication. We will also specify the proper color and provide any additional measurements to ensure the best possible results.
- Temporary Crown
- Once the tooth is prepared, we will place a temporary crown for added protection until your final restoration is complete.
- Placement of Custom Crown
- Once your crown arrives, you will return to our office to have it placed. We will remove the temporary restoration, and check to see that the final crown fits perfectly. Dr. Tracy will take the time to make sure the shade matches your smile and the crown does not affect your occlusion. He will make adjustments as needed. Once you are satisfied, Dr. Tracy will cement the crown in place.
If you have additional questions about the process or your candidacy, we would be happy to assist you further during your consultation.
Advantages of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns will be used alone or incorporated into a custom smile makeover for more comprehensive results. These restorations offer a variety of benefits, including:
- Stain Resistance
- Porcelain crowns will not become discolored over time, making them an optimal aesthetic choice.
- When crowns are cared for properly, they will last several years.
- Natural-Looking Appearance
- Because tooth-colored crowns imitate the look and feel of natural teeth, you will feel confident in the appearance of your smile.
In addition to the cosmetic advantages of these restorations, they will also improve your overall dental function and comfort.
Schedule an Appointment Today
If you are struggling with a damaged tooth, a dental crown may be an effective solution. We invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Tracy to determine your personalized treatment plan. You may contact us online, or call our practice at (601) 924-0770.